JLPT BC 17 | Japanese Podcasts Worth Listening To

JLPT podcast She Saw Mail

She Saw Mail - Japanese English at its best

Last week I announced my quest to become more and more immersed in the language.  I’m going to try to phase in as much Japanese as I can over the next couple of weeks.  This means going out and finding some good sources of material.

To start off I wanted to replace most of my podcasts with Japanese podcasts.  I kind of naively thought that podcasting in Japan would be similar to podcasting in the States.   But, I was wrong.  Podcasting hasn’t really caught on yet in Japan and so there was a lot smaller selection and actually a lot of the popular podcasts are in English.  So, I had to do a lot of hunting.

I did find one interesting podcast that wasn’t a news podcast, She Saw Mail.  It is a radio story about a man and a woman.  The woman is a CEO of a major cosmetics company that is sponsoring an amateur orchestra, but then decides to cut off the funds to the orchestra.  Meanwhile the man, Matsubara Ren, is a violinist in the orchestra.  This is where the story starts.

I liked this podcast mainly for two reasons: 1) It was well produced.  The voices are clear and easy to understand.  2) It presents written Japanese, albeit a little complicated and formal, but written Japanese all the same.

I play a snippet from the podcast in the episode, so let me know what you think of it.

Action Steps –

1) What do you think of She Saw Mail? Is it too complicated to understand or just right?

2) Are there any other Japanese podcasts or shows you listen to on a regular basis?

P.S. I’m now in iTunes.  If you like the podcast, please be sure to visit iTunes and leave me a review.  If you have comments or suggestions for the podcast, by all means let me know in the comments below or contact me and let me know what I can do to improve the show.  Thanks!

Music by Kevin MacLeod

{ 6 comments… add one }
  • JP ARCHER July 12, 2011, 5:31 pm

シーソーメール〜 : 12 July [here] links from Apple page to home site are down : searching has got the basic info but did you say there was a transcript for these? If so is there a sep. there a link ?

• Mac July 13, 2011, 12:40 am

There isn’t a transcript for シーソーメール sorry. I wish there was. There are transcripts for ‘Fanta Jikan’ though.

• NinKenDo July 10, 2014, 8:41 am

I was pleasantly surprised how much of that I understood. I’m starting to think I might be underestimating my level a bit. But “they” say that people who underestimate their level tend to do better, so I’ll just pretend I’m not noticing all these things that hint I might be doing better than I think.

Thanks for the podcast, I’m definitely going to add it to my playlists.

• Clayton MacKnight July 12, 2014, 11:50 pm

yeah, it will surprise you how much you understand of something if you have never really tried it before – for speaking and listening. I hope the podcasts help you with your studies.

• Anne May 4, 2015, 3:55 pm

I find all your tips sooo useful. I was wondering though if there are any EASY podcasts for beginners? I’m studying for JLPT 5 on my own…Thks for all your help! Anne

• Clayton MacKnight May 7, 2015, 2:53 pm

I’ve searched and searched for something pretty easy for beginners but there are not a lot of options. Kids’ podcasts tend to have ‘kid’ vocabulary that adults don’t really use. One resource that you might like though is NHK’s web easy. It is at about a N3 level really, but it has transcripts so you can look up words with rikai-chan/kun. The stories can sometimes be so basic that they end up not being so interesting or you might struggle to find out what the point of the article is, but you can find a few gems.